"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me."
Matthew 9:37

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Alvin in America

Now that Alvin is in America and safe with his new family, we will not be able to update the blog frequently like we were when he was in Liberia. But I will share any info I do come across. I know personally I really love to hear how the adopted kids are doing, and whenever possible, I have visited them in the states. Alvin's story is not finished yet and as I do receive updates I will be sure to post those here.

Alvin was able call Patty the other day and he just couldn't believe how clean the hospital was.

"Grandma, you wouldn't believe how clean it is!"
"Yes, I know, it is very clean."
"No, it's CLEAN."

Patty has been in many, many hospitals in her day, so she does know how clean an American hospital is, especially in comparison to a Liberian hospital! Alvin was also thrilled to have a TV in his room and enthralled by the wonder of a remote control.

Recently Alvin's adoptive mother shared that Alvin is in OK spirits but is missing his birth family and Patty. Alvin's new family is also hoping that he might be able to be moved to their home while he heals and waits for his reconstructive surgeries.

So now we know a little more specifically how to pray.

Alvin is a 13 year old so obviously completely remembers his life before he was adopted. He has a wonderful story to tell, and being adopted is his dream come true, but he will of course take some time to grieve the loss of his previous life. Please pray for a quick healing of his heart and that he will bond smoothly with his new family. Concerning his health, I can imagine the idea of a seemingly endless hospital stay is not very appealing to anyone right now. Also, the best way for Alvin to get to know his new parents and siblings is to be in a home setting (and it is much more interesting spending your days at home, as versus a hospital room). So pray with us that it would work for for Alvin to be at home while he gains more strength and waits for the doctors to make a decision on how to address his multiple open wounds.

Thanks again for following Alvin's story and to those of you who have prayed and donated financially. I know they still need money to be coming in towards the flight, so donate if you are able to. I will be sure to update the blog when all the money needed has come in.

-Melodie (AOH Volunteer)